Saturday, January 10, 2015

Kick Starting 2015...

Well after a longer than planed absence from blogging,I am finally back.  During my hiatias I was busy,busy,busy!


The Fantasy Row baby quilt for Gil's friends baby was finished in time to link up for the last ALYOF of last year,but since I didn't have my computer…


that didn't happen.  I recently received a message from the recipients,both mama and baby love it!


The start of my first quilt for this year!  Jamie and I decided in December to have a sew along from the book she sent me for Christmas.  The book,Fabulously Fast Quilts by Amy Smart can be found in her shop.  Before we sewed a quilt from the book though,we decided to sew her Stick Shift quilt from the tutorial on her blog.  Here are my sticks all chain pieced.




The sun had already dipped behind the mountains by the time I went to take photos late this afternoon.  So they are all a little dark,and I was not able to lighten them up by editing them without really changing the colors.  In the quilt tutorial,the solid is all one color,but you know me…I had to change it up a bit and added in a few Kona Glacier strips in each row interspersed with the grey.




The larger piece is an Kona Iron Grey,the smaller one is Kona Glacier.  The print fabric used for this quilt was a fat eighth from Joann's,purchased this past summer.  Which by the way was the perfect size for a 45 x 48" baby quilt.  After using some of the scraps in the backing there are only a handful of really small pieces left.  So almost no waste,which is pretty sweet!


Half Vintage Modern one of the tops I finished back in September…now the quilt is also finished!  The second finish for this year!


The colors show up much better in this cell phone shot during quilting.


The backside is mostly the print under the safety pin in the center of the photo above.  The stripe is a Comma print with pale orange.  This one is going to my great niece Sorenna,since the little squares with the girls came from my mom's stash,and were originally intended for one of her grand/great grand babies.


Finish #3 of this year,the second top from September last year, little Red in the Woods quilt.  I didn't crop out my quilt holders hands,because it would have also cut off the top of the quilt.


Straight line quilting on this one to accent all the strips.


A couple larger scraps of Kona solids and a clearance print from Joann's a few years ago.(I think)

Hope everyone had a wonderful New Year,I sure did!  All three quilt finishes this month were courtsey of a Much needed four day weekend over NewYears!  Kick Starting 2015...

7 comments:

  1. Way to Kick Start 2015 off right with all those finishes! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is amazing. Love them. Wish I had a fast forward speed like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you cerainly got off to a great start! Beautiful things you made. I also want to get a lot done this year and I'm working on 2 BOM's and a challeng quilt right now. Have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, three quilts finished already! You have been busy. Lovely quilts they are too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your have been sew busy. Wonderful way to kick start your sewing year. Lovely quilts! ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you have been busy!!!!!!! I didn't know you finished the stick shift quilt already! Mine is still just a top. I like how Sorenna's quilt has the special fabric in it. And your other two baby girl quilts are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers